There are many websites available to enhance your employability and skills including many "traditional" educational providers who now offer degree or certificate coursework which can be taken on-line.
Basic Grammar and Reading Skills
- National Institute for Literacy
- Directory of literacy programs nationwide.
Basic Math Skills
- Basic math, pre-algebra, algebra, geometry tutorials. Examples & practice activities are available.
- On-line lessons including basic math through trigonometry.
Basic Microsoft Skills
- Microsoft Office
- Interactive Microsoft Office tutorials with audio and visuals.
- A free, unique and user-friendly learning method proven to help each and every person learn, practice, and improve your typing speed and accuracy.
- Power Typing
- An on-line typing tutor providing typing lessons, typing practices, typing tests and typing games.
English as a Second Language
- Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE)
- English as a Second Language resources are available on the DESE website.
- About .com
- Allows you to build your vocabulary with free English courses, building vocabulary, English lesson plans and basic English Grammar
- Money Smart
- A comprehensive financial education curriculum designed to help individuals develop financial skills and positive banking relationships.
- My Money
- Website dedicated to teaching all Americans the basics about financial education.
- GCF LearnFree
- Provides hands on tutorials on many different subjects, including computer basics, Microsoft Office software, basic math, and money management.
- Courses in Computers, IT Literacy, Languages, Health and Safety and Liberal Arts and Sciences. These courses are free and interactive; with audio, video, Adobe Flash, on-line quizzes, assessments and SCORM compliant content. Check in to see what's new, such as Marketing or Accounting-Measuring and Reporting Inventories.
General Equivalency Diploma (GED)
- GED and Pre-GED Preparation
- The Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education provides information about taking the GED in Missouri.
- GED Practice
- GED Practice helps users develop a feel for the kind of reading, thinking, and problem-solving skills needed to pass the GED test by answering GED practice questions and getting feedback.
- PBS Literacy Link
- Literacy Link is a new multi-media instructional package that teaches basic skills in reading, writing, communication and math in a workplace context. These skills include strategies and attitudes necessary to find, keep and thrive in a job.