There are many websites available to enhance your employability and skills including many "traditional" educational providers who now offer degree or certificate coursework which can be taken on-line.
Basic Grammar and Reading Skills
- National Institute for Literacy
- Directory of literacy programs nationwide.
Basic Math Skills
- Basic math, pre-algebra, algebra, geometry tutorials. Examples & practice activities are available.
- On-line lessons including basic math through trigonometry.
Basic Microsoft Skills
- Microsoft Office
- Interactive Microsoft Office tutorials with audio and visuals.
- A free, unique and user-friendly learning method proven to help each and every person learn, practice, and improve your typing speed and accuracy.
- Power Typing
- An on-line typing tutor providing typing lessons, typing practices, typing tests and typing games.
English as a Second Language
- Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE)
- English as a Second Language resources are available on the DESE website.
- About .com
- Allows you to build your vocabulary with free English courses, building vocabulary, English lesson plans and basic English Grammar
- Money Smart
- A comprehensive financial education curriculum designed to help individuals develop financial skills and positive banking relationships.
- My Money
- Website dedicated to teaching all Americans the basics about financial education.
- GCF LearnFree
- Provides hands on tutorials on many different subjects, including computer basics, Microsoft Office software, basic math, and money management.
- Courses in Computers, IT Literacy, Languages, Health and Safety and Liberal Arts and Sciences. These courses are free and interactive; with audio, video, Adobe Flash, on-line quizzes, assessments and SCORM compliant content. Check in to see what's new, such as Marketing or Accounting-Measuring and Reporting Inventories.
High School Equivalency (HSE) / General Equivalency Diploma (GED)
Beginning January 2014, Missouri's new high school equivalency test will change from the General Equivalency Diploma (GED), to the High School Equivalency (HSE), also known as the HiSET. Here are resource links for information and preparation resources.
- HSE Info
- The Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education provides information about the HSE in Missouri.
- HSE Preparation(Adult Education)
- Free classes located across Missouri to help adults prepare for High School Equivalency
- MOLearns is Missouri's FREE online classroom for students looking for the flexibility of completing most of their high school equivalency test preparation at home. This program is sponsored by the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE).
- Additional test prep materials for the HSE are available.
- PBS Literacy Link
- Literacy Link is a new multi-media instructional package that teaches basic skills in reading, writing, communication and math in a workplace context. These skills include strategies and attitudes necessary to find, keep and thrive in a job.